Sunday 6 December 2009

J. Stern Jeans #0037 - Done.


Pattern Description:

Misses Jeans
Pattern No. 0037

Available in sizes 6 - 16. Fitted jeans featuring classic 5-pocket styling
w/ optional back flap pockets, easy front fly zipper, boot leg hem and topstitching. Finished inseam 34”.




 What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the style. They look similar to my favorite RTW. They are not too low but also not too high. ( Jennifer Stern also has another jean pattern # 0037W, Available in sizes 12W - 24W)






Fabric Used:
12 oz Denim.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I'd say these pretty much fit out of the envelope. After making the original muslin I ended up only adding to the hips. I made my belt loops smaller.My front fly opens opposite the instructions because  when working on the zipper steps, I cut off the wrong side ...operator problem  :)  I embroidered a design on the back pockets and I also embroidered " J.Stern" on the back waistband. (My rivets and my button don't match because I couldn't find matching ones. I ended up using rivets from my Prym Vario Plus Kit.and the button from Fabricville.) I will find matching sets for next ones!     For the waistband, I used   "Pro Tailor Deluxe"  interfacing, from Pam @ Sew Exciting. It is an excellent interfacing and  the quality is exceptional. The waistband feels perfectly stabilized :)



 My husband assisted in applying the rivets. I used the tool (pliers) from the kit  and a couple of other tools :) like a  nail & hammer.

I used the tip from Sandra Betzina & Ron Collins Jeans Couture Video.




Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will definitely sew this pattern again and I highly recommend this pattern.
Conclusion:
I am thrilled with these jeans.They  fit as well as, if not better than my Favorite RTW pair of jeans. The pattern went together extremely well. The instructions were easy to follow and if you do have problems Jennifer Stern has a blog and welcomes questions. She also adds in her pattern instructions if you have any questions or comments or require assistance to email her. That is pretty good!
 
Format from Pattern Review.

I'll wear these tomorrow and take better pictures. Tonight I was anxious to post them....



27 comments:

JoanneM said...

Amazing. They look RTW. Well done.

Lori said...

Fantastic jeans, really like the embroidery on the pockets and the J Stern on the waistband, great touches.

Claire S. said...

Right out of the envelope ?! Lucky you - they look wonderful !

BTW - I got my email from Power Sewing and am now all signed up for the 3 month trial. No problems. Got my first notification of a WebShow, um yesterday, I think.

Faye Lewis said...

Your jeans look fab!

sonoemi said...

Wow, what a beautiful jeans! The fit is perfect and wonderful details!

Digs said...

Very impressive! and what beautiful embroidery. And perfect topstitching!

ClaireOKC said...

Ann - these look wonderful and love all the detail work you did on them.

Lisa said...

You look great!

meredithp said...

These turned out great. I love the embroidery touches. Thanks for posting here and at PR.

Mary Beth said...

Ann, these are great jeans! I mean GREAT and the details you've added are really nice. I heard such good things about this pattern BTW. I just may have some rivets to share with you so tap me when you need more and we'll check it out :)

Birgitte said...

Your jeans look fantastic, congratulations!

Diana said...

Ann, your jeans are Wow!.What a great fit and a professional looking result.You inspire me to want to try out the embroidery feature on my new Kenmore Elite, After Christmas probably as I'm very busy with seasonal stuff. It was so nice to see you the other day at Fabricville.I'm looking forward to being finished working.I'm just plain tired of it.

Kathi said...

Your jeans look great! I can see why you were anxious to write about them! I have the Jalie jeans pattern. I just haven't had the time for such a big project! I picture jeans as being more time consuming than other items!

gwensews said...

Great fitting jeans. I like the embroidery on the pocket. They look terific on you.

Renee said...

These look so great! I'm working on this very pattern right now. I'm really impressed with your topstitching and the pocket embroidery is fantastic.

Sheila said...

Awesome jeans and love the embroidery detail.

AllisonC said...

Fantastic jeans, they look incredibly professional.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Great jeans and I love the design on the back pocket!

Johanna Lu said...

Just awesome in every way, the fit, the craftmanship and the style.

Sigrid said...

Congratulations on this beautiful pair of jeans. Love the details and the shot of it with the jacket in the other post too.

Mon Café Couture said...

Ann, I missed this one, I can see you jeans now. Great detail work. Look like "real", even better.

Jennifer said...

Ann, your jeans are amazing, love the embroidery and topstitching detail! ... (and I feel so honored that you embroidered "J Stern" in the waistband)

Kristen said...

I've really enjoyed what of your blog I've read. I will soon be trying to make my own jeans... but I had an unrelated question...

A week or two ago I stumbled across a magazine that was about sewing and the focus of the magazine is timeless pieces - so they don't put dates on the issues and it is funded by the actual magazine sales - not advertizing. I remember reading that they have a couple staff and they have interns and they sell like 2 issues a year and the article I saw featured a girl talking about her newest sewing project while wearing a very nice looking vintage inspired outfit.....



Today when I have money I was going to purchase it and I cant for the LIFE of me find it again. Do you or anyone reading know what I'm speaking about? I started out on Gertie's blog (new blog for better sewing) and I'm just sure I found it by clicking a follower of a follower of her site.

Any ideas?

lynneb said...

Wow....I think these are the best made at home jeans I've seen! Fabulous fit and incredible details.
Well done, Ann!

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Ann .- that details so pretty. This is a great work pants

Aminat said...

OMG how did I miss this? Your jeans are absolutely gorgeous...and what a great detail...I just want to be like you when I grow up.....lol

stella said...

wholesale handbags