Monday 6 February 2012

Blind Hem.



How many of you shy away from making a blind hem by machine?

Blind Hem ~ PFAFF


I've been altering some of my RTW dress pants and I wanted to keep the original look of the hem -  a blind hem.


I've used this technique before ~ a long time ago ~  and for some reason was never successful ~  so I would hand sew the blind hem.

Today I decided to try the machine technique again.

.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that this technique by machine is  actually very easy to do, gets done quickly and it looks great.


A successful sewing day!


Ann






8 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

I love using blind hems especially on tweedy type fabrics where I don't have to worry about stitches showing if I can't get my zig zag width set just right.

Goodbye Valentino said...

I love using the blind hem feature of my machine (Bernina 1230). It was intimidating at first and if I'm unsure of the result, I'll give it a test run on a scrap.My blind hem stitch saves me time and does a better job than my hand hemming on most everything!

Debbie Cook said...

A definite machine blind hemmer here. I avoid hand sewing almost as much as housework. ;-)

Irene said...

I must be an oddball, because I love doing hems by hand. The only times I've used the blindstitch on my machine is for curtains. (That's just not worth the effort of hand hemming.)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I love it too - hemming 10 pairs of school pants will convert anybody!

Carolyn said...

I love hand-hemming too, it's sort of meditative.... but this machine method is a wonderful technique. I should get with the times, I think!

Melinda said...

I spent this last Saturday hemming 3 pairs of pants that had been sitting in my mending pile for ages. And I used the blind hem on my Bernina. It was quick and easy once I got it set up

Bunny said...

Blind hem by machine- love it. Carol Ahles gives great info on this in her book "Fine Machine Sewing" .