Thursday 5 September 2013

House Cape

 
Is there such a thing as a House Cape?
Well that is what I am calling what I made today...
a House Cape...like a house coat ~ but different.
 
The weather is turning cool and it was cool in the house today ~
and for some reason this made  me think of my daughter walking around the house with a blanket on her shoulders!
During the winter months you will always see her wearing a blanket or throw over her shoulders ~ like a shawl......She has done this for as long as I can remember :)
 
I was planning  on making myself a cape today but came up with this idea for her and made it instead.
 
It is made just as you would make a cape but I put a zipper to help keep it
from slipping over her shoulders. Hopefully this works.
 
 
I used a ribbed fleece fabric.
 
 
 
I wanted to make this house cape fairly long so my fabric was 62"w x 75" long.
(The fabric I bought was 64" wide after being washed & dried. I didn't measure it before washing it)
 
Fold fabric, with grainline lengthwise.
I forgot to take pictures while  I was  making it but
here it is finished.
 

 
 
Cut up the center to the fold.
Insert zipper. I used a 22"zipper.
Hem around neckline, sides, front and back hem.
 
Very easy but I loved making it and I know my daughter will be warm and very comfortable wearing this house cape!
 
 
 
 
Have a great day!
 
Ann
 
 


6 comments:

Sewingadicta said...

A beautiful cape! Warm and comfortable, It has everything to be a winner this winter. Love caps, so elegant

Diana said...

Great idea Ann. Serena is sure to love it. I'm glad you had a chance to spend some time in your beautiful sewing studio.

Aminat said...

What a great idea...love it

Faye Lewis said...

I like it a lot Ann. I'm such a chilly girl in the winter so it would come in very handy for me.

Anonymous said...


What a cool idea! Great job.

Unknown said...

Inspired...I think she'll love it